Link

Social

Embed

Download

Download
Download Transcript

[00:00:01]

>> PRESIDENT B. MICHAEL: I WOULD LIKE TO CALL THE JANUARY

[1. Call To Order]

14TH MEETING O THE WORTHINGTON CITY COUNCIL TO ORDER.

MS. TRESS, COULD YOU PLEASE CALL THE ROLL? EVERYONE PLEASE STAND FOR THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE

FLAG. >> I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, AND TO THE REPUBLIC FOR WHICH IT STANDS, ONE NATION, UNDER GOD, INDIVISIBLE, WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL.

>> PRESIDENT B. MICHAEL: THANK YOU.

PLEASE BE SEATED. OKAY, I'VE NOT RECEIVED ANYTHING REGARDING VISITOR COMMENTS SO WE WILL GO STRAIGHT

[5.A. Oath of Office - Fire Captain and Fire Lieutenant Executive Summary: The Oath of Office will be administered to Chris Craig who has been promoted to the rank of Fire Captain and Pat Toole who has been promoted to the rank of Fire Lieutenant.]

INTO OUR SPECIAL PRESENTATION. MR. GREESON, I WILL LET YOU INTRODUCE OUR HONOREES FOR TONIGHT.

>> IT'S A PLEASURE TO JOIN IN THE OATH OF OFFICE FOR EITHER PEOPLE JINING OUR ORGANIZATION, OR NEW OR ACHIEVING SIGNIFICANT MILESTONES IN THEIR CAREER.

IT'S MY PLEASURE TO ASK TO THE PODIUM CAPTAIN CHRIS CRAIG AND LIEUTENANT TOOLE, IF YOU COULD COME UP TO THE PODIUM AND CHIEF

BAYLOW IS GOING TO JOIN YOU. >> THANK YOU, MR. GREESON.

PRESIDENT MICHAEL, MEMBERS OF THE COUNCIL.

IT'S MY HONOR TO BE HERE TONIGHT REPRESENTING DIVISION OF FIRE AND E.M.S. TO WITNESS TWO TALENTED MEMBERS OF THE DIVISION AS THEY TAKE ON THEIR NEW ROLES IN OUR ORGANIZATION.

AS YOU SEE HERE TONIGHT, IT'S VERY IMPORTANT TO OUR TEAM AND THE MEN AND WOMEN OF OUR DIVISION ARE HERE TO SHOW SUPPORT. YOU MAY REMEMBER CAPTAIN ARNHOLDT RETIRED THIS PAST FALL. THE DIVISION STAFFS THREE 24-HOUR SHIFTS, WE CALL UNITS. EACH RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DAILY ACTIVITIES OF THE UNIT. THE RANK OF CAPTAIN FITS WITHIN THE FIRE DEPARTMENT HIERARCHY ABOVE LIEUTENANT AND REPORTS DIRECTLY TO THE ASSISTANT CHIEF. TOGETHER THE THREE UNIT CAPTAINS, ASSISTANT CHIEF AND I FORM OUR ADMINISTRATIVE EXECUTIVE LEADERSHIP TEAM. WORKING TOGETHER IS CRUCIAL FOR MY SENIOR TEAM TO MAKE SURE WE MAINTAIN FOCUS AND DIRECTION.

WE BEGIN OUR RIGOROUS PROMOTIONAL PROCESS TO FILL THIS CAPTAIN POSITION EVEN BEFORE CAPTAIN ARNHOLDT RETIRED.

THE PROCESS IS FROM INSIDE OUR ORGANIZATION AND FROM OUTSIDE OUR ORGANIZATION. ALL FOUR OF THE ELIGIBLE LIEUTENANTS WERE CANDIDATES AND PARTICIPATED IN THE PROCESS.

IF WE HAD FOUR OPENINGS, THE DECISION WOULD HAVE BEEN VERY EASY BECAUSE WE HAVE SUCH HIGH TALENT IN OUR LEADERSHIP AS WELL AS OUR FULL MEMBERSHIP OF THE DEPARTMENT.

WE ONLY HAD THE ONE OENING, SO IT MADE THE DECISION A LITTLE BIT MORE DIFFICULT. HOWEVER, WITH THAT ONE, AND WHILE THE OTHER ONES ARE GREAT, I'M PLEASED TO BE HERE TONIGHT RECOGNIZING CHRIS CRAIG WHO IS NOW CAPTAIN ON ONE UNIT.

THE SECOND POSITION WE RECENTLY FILLED IS RANK OF LIEUTENANT.

THIS POSITION BECAME OPEN ONCE MR. GREESON APPOINTED CHRIS TO CAPTAIN AFTER HE HELD THE LIEUTENANT POSITION.

TO REFRESH YOUR MEMORIES, LIEUTENANT IS LINE IN CHARGE OF THE ENGINE OR THE LADDER. EACH LIEUTENANT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE APPARATUS THEY ARE ASSIGNED TO AND MAKES OPERATIONAL DECISIONS AS A FIRST END SUPERVISOR ON A VARIETY OF EMERGENCY CALLS THAT WE RESPOND TO.

-- DAILY OPERATIONS. THE LIEUTENANTS, CAPTAINS AND CHIEF OFFICERS MAKE UP THE LEADERSHIP TEAM OF THE DIVISION.

YOU MAY ALSO RECALL THAT I STOOD IN FRONT O YOU LAST MARCH WHEN MR. GREESON GAVE THE OATH OF OFFICE TO THREE NEWLY-PROMOTED LIEUTENANTS. PAT TOOLE PARTICIPATED IN THAT PROCESS AND PATIENTLY WAITED FOR THIS NEXT OPPORTUNITY FOR PROMOTION. SO BEFORE MR. GREESON ADMINISTERS THEIR OATH OF OFFICE, IF I COULD INDULGE YOU FOR JUST ANOTHER COUPLE MINUTES AND TELL YOU ABOUT THE TWO INDIVIDUALS HERE, I WOULD LIKE TO START WITH CAPTAIN CHRIS CRAIG. HE BEGAN AS FREFIGHTER

[00:05:06]

PARAMEDIC IN 2001. AFTER SERVING FOUR YEARS AND PROMOTED TO LIEUTENANT IN JANUARY 2014.

CAPTAIN CRAIG HOLDS MANY CERTIFICATIONS, FIRE OFFICER

>> PRESIDENT -- 1 AND 2. WEAPONS O MASS DESTRUCTION SPECIALIST. HE IS A PARAMEDIC AND HAS DONE EXTENSIVE RESEARCH AND WORK IN HEALTH RELATED EMERGENCIES SUCH AS PANDEMIC INFLUENZA, BIOLOGICAL HAZARDS, H1N1 OR SWINE FLU AND SEVERAL OTHER PATHOGENS THAT KEEP SCIENTISTS UP AT NIGHT. HE IS MY GEEK.

HE IS A WORTHINGTON KILGOUR GRAD AND STUDENT IN BACHELOR OF SCIENCE EMERGENCY MRNLG AND HOMELAND SECURITY PROGRAM.

HE EXPECTS TO GRADUATE THIS SUMMER IN THE SUMMER OF 2019 WITH HIS DEGREE. CAPTAIN CRAIG'S WIFE MANDY IS HERE ALONG WITH HIS THREE DAUGHTERS KAITLYN, ALLISON AND LINDSEY. LIEUTENANT PAT TOOLE BEGAN HIS CAREER IN BAREA. DID I SAY IT RIGHT? OHIO. REMEMBER, I'M A ST. LOUIS BOY.

SUBURB OF CLEVELAND. IN 1996.

HE MOVED TO WARMER WEATHER AND TOOK HIS NEXT FIREFIGHTER JOB IN ROCKLEDGE FLORIDA IN 2005. HE AND HIS WIFE DECIDED TO COME BACK TO OHIO AND BEGAN HIS CAREER WITH US IN 2007 AS A PARAMEDIC FREFIGHTER. HE SERVED AS ACTING LIEUTENANT AMONG MANY OTHER DUTIES. LIEUTENANT TOOLE HOLDS CERTIFICATIONS AS FIRE OFFICER 1, RESCUE TECHNICIAN AND IS ONE OF OUR FIRE INVESTIGATORS. HE LIKES TO DG INTO THE SCENES.

LIEUTENANT TOOLE IS WORKING ON A BACHELOR OF ARTS DEGREE, BUSINESS BACHELOR OF ARTS DEGREE AND RECIPIENT OF AWARD IN 2011 FOR ACTIONS TAKEN ON A MULTIVEHICLE ACCIDENT WITH FATALITY. HIS WIFE CHRISTINA IS HERE ALONG WITH TWO CHILDREN PATRICK AND MADELAINE.

MR. GREESON? >> IF YOU COULD RAISE YOUR RIGHT HAND AND REPEAT AFTER ME. I SOLEMNLY SWEAR I WILL SUPPORT THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES AND OF THE STATE OF OHIO AND I WILL OBEY THE LAWS THEREOF AND THAT I WILL IN ALL RESPECTS FAITHFULLY OBSERVE THE CHARTER AND ORDINANCES OF THIS MUNICIPALITY AND THAT I WILL FAITHFULLY DISCHARGE THE DUTIES OF FIRE CAPTAIN. THE POSITION UPON WHICH I'M ABOUT TO ENTER.

CONGRATULATIONS.

>> LIEUTENANT TOOLE, HOPEFULLY I WON'T STUMBLE.

>> HOPEFULLY I WON'T EITHER.

>> REPEAT AFTER ME, I SOLEMNLY SWEAR THAT I WILL SUPPORT THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES AND OF THE STATE OF OHIO AND THAT I WILL OBEY THE LAWS THEREOF AND THAT I WILL IN ALL RESPECTS, OBSERVE THE CHARTER AND ORDINANCES OF THIS MUNICIPALITY. AND THAT I WILL FAITHFULLY DISCHARGE THE DUTIES OF FIRE LIEUTENANT, THE POSITION UPON WHICH I'M ABOUT TO ENTER. CONGRATULATIONS.

AND NOW IT'S TIME TO PRESENT YOU WITH YOUR BADGE.

IT'S A HIGH HONOR IN OUR ORGANIZATION AND THE FIRE SERVICE. SO, WE WILL START WITH CAPTAIN CHRIS CRAIG. AND WHO WILL BE PINNING ON YOUR

BADGE? >> MY WIFE.

>> IT'S MY HONOR AND PRIVILEGE TO PRESENT YOU WITH THIS BADGE DESIGNATING TO EVERYONE WHO SEES IT YOU ARE NOW A HIGHER

[00:10:04]

RANK, RANK OF CAPTAIN WITH THE WORTHINGTON DIVISION OF FIRE

AND E.M.S. >> LIEUTENANT TOOLE, WHO WILL

PIN YOUR BADGE? >> MY WIFE CHRISTINA.

>> IT'S ALSO MY HONOR AND PRIVILEGE DESIGNATING THIS BADGE YOU ARE NOW THE RANK OF LIEUTENANT IN THE DIVISION OF

FIRE AND E.M.S. >> IT'S IMPORTANT TO QUICKLY DETERMINE THE VARIOUS RANKS ON ANY INCIDENT MNAGEMENT TEAM, AT EVERY EMERGENCY INCIDENT AND KNOWING WHO THE SUPERVISORS IS IMPORTANT WHEN LOOKING AT THE CITY OF FIREFIGHTERS TO KNOW WHO ARE THE PEOPLE IN CHARGE TO GIVE THOSE ORDERS.

SO IT'S TRADITION WITHIN THE FIRE SERVICE WE HAVE VARIOUS COLORS OF HELMETS AND WORTHINGTON THEY WEAR BLACK HELMETS. FIRST LINE SUPERVISORS WEAR THE RED HELMETS AND OUR CAPTAINS, WE PUT OUR CAPTAINS IN A WHITE HELMET. THE WHITE HELMET IS A DESIGNATION ON THE FIRE GROUND OF THE PERSON OR PEOPLE THAT ARE IN CHARGE OF THAT INCIDENT. SO IT IS MY HONOR TO HANDOUT THEIR FIRST HELMETS. CAPTAIN CHRIS CRAIG.

LIEUTENANT PAT TOOLE. CONGRATULATIONS, GENTLEMEN.

GENTLEMEN HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY? >> THANK YOU.

>> PRESIDENT B. MICHAEL: ON BEHALF OF CITY COUNCIL, WE ARE PROUD OF BOTH OF YOU, AND ALSO PROUD OF OUR ENTIRE FIRE AND E.M.S. CREWS. YOU GO OUT THERE DAY-TO-DAY AND WALK DOOR TO DOOR RUNNING FOR REELECTION YOU HEAR PEOPLE SAY HOW IMPORTANT THE SERVICES ARE. THERE IS AN INCIDENT WHICH THE FIRE PEOPLE CAME OUT TO HELP PREVENT THINGS OR THE E.M.S.

TOOK PEOPLE TO A HOSPITAL, DID A RUN THAT SAVED THEIR LIFE OR MADE THEIR LIFE BETTER. SO REALLY, TERE'S AN EXPRESSION A LOT OF PEOPLE HEAR ME USE.

TO KNOW THAT ONE LIFE HAS BREATHED EASIER BECAUSE YOU HAVE LIVED, THIS IS TO HAVE SUCCESS.

I FEEL OUR FIRE-E.M.S. DIVISION IS VERY SUCCESSFUL BECAUSE OF ALL THE LIVES YOU MAKE BREATHE EASY FOR WHAT YOU DO.

I KNOW AS OFFICERERS THAT YOU ARE GOING TO CONTINUE TO WORK WITH THAT AND WORK WITH ALL THE RANK AND EVERYBODY ELSE IN THERE AND CONTINUE OUR OUTSTANDING SERVICES THAT WE HAVE. THANK YOU FOR WHAT YOU DO.

AND THANK ALL THE REST OF OUR FIRE AND E.M.S. CREWS THAT ARE HERE. BECAUSE WE APPRECIATE WHAT YOU DO SO MUCH. DOES ANYBODY ELSE WANT TO SAY ANYTHING? THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

DISCUSSION ABOUT MURALS BUT IF WE WILL WAIT A COUPLE MINUTES IN CASE SOME OF YOU DON'T WANT TO STAY FOR THIS LIVELY

DISCUSSION. >> PRESIDENT B. MICHAEL: I THINK WE ARE GETTING CLOSE. IT'S OKAY.

[6.A.I. Financial Report - December 2018 Executive Summary: The Finance Director will present the Financial Report for the month of December, which is attached. Recommendation: Motion to Accept as Presented]

[00:15:07]

MOVING ONTO THE NEXT ITEM ON THE AGENDA IS THE FINANCIAL REPORT. MR. GREESON?

>> PRESIDENT MICHAEL, BEFORE WE MOVE INTO THAT, I JUST WANT TO THANK YOU ALL PERSONALLY FOR ALLOWING US TO DO THE OATH OF OFFICE FOR PROMOTIONS IN FRONT OF YOU AND TAKING TIME TO DO THAT. THEY ARE SPECIAL OCCASIONS IN THE LIFE OF THE CITY AND WE ARE GRATEFUL FOR YOU HONORING THIS PRACTICE. I'M GOING TO TURN IT OVER TO MR. BARTER WHO IS GOING TO GIVE OUR MONTHLY FINANCIAL REPORT.

>> THANK YOU, MR. GREESON, PRESIDENT MICHAEL, MEMBERS OF COUNCIL. I HAVE BEFORE YOU THE DECEMBER 2018 FINANCIAL REPORT FOR THE CITY OF WORTHINGTON.

HIGHLIGHTS FROM THIS REPORT INCLUDE FUND BALANCES HAVE INCREASED FROM $26,696,378 ON JANUARY 1ST 2018 TO $30,338,812 AS OF DECEMBER 31ST 2018. THE GENERAL FUND CASH BALANCE INCREASED FROM $13,491,? 664 TO $14,667,073 AS OF DECEMBER 31ST 2018. AND GENERAL FUND UNENCUMBERED WAS $13,613,82 AS OF DECEMBER 31ST, WHICH REPRESENTS APPROXIMATELY 49% OF PRIOR YEAR EXPENDITURES.

IF I COULD ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS. AND I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ACCEPT

A MOTION. >> I HAVE A QUESTION.

YOU SAID THAT THE REDUCTION IN INCOME TAX COLLECTIONS IS LARGELY ATTRIBUTED TO A DECREASE IN NET PROFIT COLLECTIONS, ONE O THREE MODES OF COLLECTING THE INCOME TAX.

DOES IT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH WHAT HAPPENED TO TE STATE

AND THAT PORTAL? >> I THINK IT HAS A LOT TO DO WITH WHAT HAPPENS TO THE STATE, OPERATING LOSS OR CENTRALIZED COLLECTIONS. I WAS LOOKING EARLIER, ABOUT 20 BUSINESSES MAKE UP A SIGNIFICANT PORTION OF THAT DROP FROM 2017-2018. I THINK THAT IS A COMBINATION BOTH OF STATE, ACTION AND THE FILINGS OF THOSE COMPANIES THEN.

>> ONE OTHER QUESTION. IT APPEARS THAT YEAR-TO-DATE COLLECTIONS THROUGH THE END OF DECEMBER WERE DOWN VERY SLIGHTLY, YET THEY WERE ABOVE ESTIMATES, IS THAT CORRECT?

>> YES, THAT'S CORRECT. >> HELP ME UNDERSTAND THOSE TWO

FACTS, JUXTAPOSED. >> WELL OUR ESTIMATES WERE LOW

AND THEY CAME IN HIGHER. >> WHY WERE YOU ESTIMATING LOW?

>> IT WAS THE IPACT OF THE NET OPERATING LOSS IN COLLECTION

WITH THE LOSS OF ANTHEM. >> PRESIDENT B. MICHAEL: ANY FURTHER DISCUSSION? IF NOT, ALL THOSE IN FAVOR SIGNIFY BY SAYING AYE. OPPOSED? LIKE SIGN. THAT HAS PASSED.

DO WE HAVE A STUDENT IN THE BACK OF THE ROOM HERE? NO? OKAY.

JUST WASN'T SURE. A LOT OF TIMES I LIKE TO RECOGNIZE STUDENTS WHEN THEY ARE HERE.

WELCOME, WELCOME, WELCOME. ALL RIGHT.

[6.B.I. Mural Task Force Report & Discussion Executive Summary: A memorandum from the Mural Task Force will be reviewed and discussed.]

MOVING ONTO THE MEATY TOPIC FOR TONIGHT.

ABOUT THE MURALS. MR. GREESON?

>> YES, PRESIDENT MICHAEL, MEMBERS OF COUNCIL, I WILL TURN IT OVER TO MR. BROWN HERE IN A MOMENT WHO HAS HELPED STAFF MURAL TASK FORCE BUT BEFORE I DO THAT, I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE A BRIEF COMMENT ABOUT WHAT WE ARE TRYING TO DO THIS EVENING.

AS YOU WILL RECALL THERE'S A SIGNIFICANT CONVERSATION OVER A YEAR AGO REGARDING MURALS AND WHAT KIND OF STANCE OR PRACTICE OR POLICY OR POSTURE, WHATEVER TERM YOU WANT TO USE, WE SHOULD HAVE TOWARDS MURALS IN OUR COMMUNITY.

YOU ASKED US TO CREATE A MURAL TASK FORCE.

WE DID THAT, WE HAD SOME VOLUNTEERS WHO WILL TOUCH ON IN A MINUTE, DILIGENTLY WORK TO RESEARCH MURALS AND FRAME OPTIONS, THAT WOULD BE AVAILABLE TO THE CITY SHOULD WE DECIDE TO CHOOSE ONE. FOR A VARIETY OF REASONS INCLUDING THE MANY ACTIVITIES THAT THIS COUNCIL UNDERTAKES IN THE FALL, WE DID NOT HAVE THIS ISSUE ON THE AENDA, SO HERE IN

[00:20:06]

JANUARY WE ARE TRYING TO BRING EVERYBODY BACK UP TO SPEED.

TAKE AN ISSUE THAT'S ON THE PLATE.

AND MOVE IT A LITTLE CLOSER TO THE FORK.

AND BRING EVERYBODY'S EDUCATION LEVEL BACK UP ON THIS IMPORTANT ISSUE. WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR ACTION OR SPECIFIC DIRECTION THIS EVENING. WE JUST WANT TO REENGAGE THIS ISSUE SO THAT YOU ARE PREPARED AS YOU APPROACH YOUR RETREAT OR AS YOU APPROACH A MORE FOCUSED AGENDA ITEM IN THE FUTURE.

THAT YOU ARE BETTER PREPARED TO MAKE A DECISION AT THAT TIME.

I WILL TURN IT OVER TO MR. BRANNON AND HE WILL COVER THE

TOPIC. >> MADAM PRESIDENT, MEMBERS OF COUNCIL. MR. GREESON DID A NICE JOB WITH THE OVERVIEW AND HISTORY. OUR MAIN GOAL WAS TO PROVIDE CITY COUNCIL RECOMMENDATION ON POLICY OPTIONS FOR MURALS IN WORTHINGTON. IT WAS NOT TO SAY YEA OR NAY.

WE DID APPOINT A MURAL TASK FORCE AS A GREAT GROUP, WE HAVE ONE IN THE BACK OF THE AUDIENCE.

MYSELF, LINDA BATAR -- >> BETH HAS JOINED US.

>> THE ONE THING I WILL SAY THAT'S GREAT ABOUT THIS GROUP IS THEY KIND OF GAVE US HOMEWORK AND WE GAVE THEM HOMEWORK BACK SO IT WAS GREAT TO HAVE A GROUP IN THEIR FREE TIME BETWEEN MEETINGS LOOKED UP INFORMATION, CALLED OTHER JURISDICTIONS TO SEE HOW THINGS PLAYED OUT IN DIFFERENT CITIES, DIFFERENT STATES, SO THAT WS A NICE GROUP TO HAVE TOGETHER.

AGAIN, KIND OF A LITTLE BIT OF BACKGROUND AS MR. GREESON MENTIONED. IN THE FALL OF 2017, THE ARCHITECTURAL REVIEW BOARD HAD A MURAL ON WEST SIDE OF CHADELAINE AND WEST SIDE. THEY DID DENY THE APPLICATIONS THE BOARD STATED THEY FELT THEY NEEDED GUIDANCE FROM CITY COUNCIL AND THERE NEEDED TO BE A GREATER COMMUNITY DISCUSSION WHETHER MURALS WERE APPROPRIATE FOR THE CITY OF WORTHINGTON.

AGAIN, KIND OF OUR TIME LINE WAS THAT OCTOBER DENIAL OF THE ARCHITECTURE REVIEW BOARD. WE HAD A DISCUSSION WITH CITY COUNCIL MEMBERS IN NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER AND A TASK FORCE WAS CREATED FEBRUARY 2018. THROUGH MARCH AND JULY, THE TASK FORCE MET MONTHLY TO DISCUSS MURALS.

AGAIN IT WAS A GREAT GROUP OF OPEN DIALOGUE AND FEEDBACK AND EXAMPLES TO LOOK AT FROM OTHER JURISDICTIONS.

IN AUGUST THE MEMO WENT OUT FROM THE GROUP TO THE CITY MANAGER. IN SEPTEMBER THAT MEMO WENT TO CITY COUNCIL AND HERE WE ARE TODAY.

HOW WE BROKE DOWN THE MURAL DISCUSSION FROM START TO FINISH, REALLY LOOKED AT, WE DID A HUGE FOCUS ON THE LEGALITY PART. LOOKING AT FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS. ONE OF THE THINGS WE KEPT LOOKING INTO, A LOT OF US WERE INTERESTED IN MURALS, IT WAS THE ISSUE OF REGULATING FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS AND THE END RESULT WAS YOU COULD NOT REGULATE THE DESIGN OR CONTENT OF A MURAL IF THEY WERE PERMITTED IN A CITY.

THE OTHER THING WE ALSO DISCUSSED AT SEVERAL MEETINGS WHICH IS VISUAL ARTISTS RIGHTS ACT.

WITH THAT IS A DISCUSSION ON THE ARTIST ITSELF, THE RIGHTS THEY HAVE ON THEIR ACTUAL WORK SO WE HAD A LARGE DISCUSSION HOW OTHER JURISDICTIONS HANDLE THE VISUAL RIGHTS ACT OF THE ARTIST OWNERSHIP OF THAT MURAL AND NOT BEING ABLE TO EITHER PAINT OVER IT IN THE FUTURE, THEY HAD THE PERMANENT OWNERSHIP. A LARGE DISCUSSION, LIKE I SAID ON THE LEGAL COMPONENTS, THE FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS, THE V.A.R.A. AND IT KIND OF TIED BACK TO THE SIGN AND MURAL DEFINITIONS THAT A LOT OF OTHER JURISDICTIONS HAVE FOR US, FOR EXAMPLE, A SIGN AND MURAL KIND OF FALL UNDER THE SAME DEFINITION. THAT'S ONE OF THE ISSUES WE HAD WITH THE TWO MURALS WE HAD REQUESTED NEEDED TO GO TO ARCHITECTURE REVIEW BOARD, THEY DIDN'T MEET OUR DEFINITION OF ASSIGN FOR A NUMBER OF COLORS, FONTS, ALL THOSE DIFFERENT DEGREES. SO WE LOOKED AT ALL THE OTHER JURISDICTIONS TO SEE HOW THEY DEFINED SIGN AND MURAL, IF THEY DID OR DID NOT DEFINE THEM AT ALL AND THEN ONE OF THE OTHER THINGS WE LOOKED AT UNDER THE LEGAL DISCUSSION WAS AN EASEMENT PROGRAM. THE CITY OF PORTLAND OREGON IS

[00:25:03]

FUNDED THROUGH THE CITY THEY BUY EASEMENT RIGHTS FROM CERTAIN BUILDINGS WHERE THEY WOULD LIKE TO SEE MURALS.

AND SINCE IT'S A CITY EASEMENT PROGRAM THEY HAVE THE ABILITY TO REGULATE THE CONTENT AND DESIGN AND WHERE THEY WERE LOCATED AND KIND OF THE FABRIC OF THAT THROUGH THEIR PROGRAM BUT THEY ALSO HAD AN ARTS COMMISSION TAT RECEIVED THE FUNDING TO HELP WORK TOWARD THIS.

PROBABLY THE BULK OF ALL OF OUR MEETINGS REALLY ALWAYS TIED BACK TO THE LEGALITY PART OF IT. EVEN OUR THIRD OR FOURTH MEETING WE CIRCLED BACK AROUND TO THE FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS, WHAT WE CAN AND CAN'T REGULATE AND THE DIFFERENT PROGRAMS THAT WERE OUT THERE. HE THE OTHER THING WE LOOKED AT, WE JUMPED INTO LOCATION. THROUGHOUT THE CITY, DISTRICT, ARCHITECTURAL REVIEW DISTRICT. THAT WAS ANOTHER BIG DISCUSSION AND I THINK OUR MAIN FOCUS, REALLY, WHEN WE LOOKED AT DISCUSSION, OR THE DISCUSSION RELATED WHERE THEY SHOULD BE LOCATED A LOT OF IT FIXATED ON OUR HISTORIC DISTRICT.

GRANTED WE HAVE HISTORIC DISTRICT, HIGH STREET AND 161 IS LOCATED IN ARCHITECTURE REVIEW DISTRICT BUT AT LOT WAS IN THE HISTORIC DISTRICT. BROKE DOWN LOCATION, COMMERCIAL, INDUSTRIAL AND RESIDENTIAL AREAS.

THE GROUP HAD A LARGE DISCUSSION ON, YOU KNOW, THE APPROPRIATENESS OF IT BEING LOCATED IN THE COMMERCIAL DISTRICT. HISTORIC DISTRICT, RESIDENTIAL, INDUSTRIAL. INDUSTRIAL THERE WEREN'T TOO MANY CONCERNS WITH THE LOCATION OF THE MURAL IN AN INDUSTRIAL DISTRICT. THE ARCHITECTURAL REVIEW DISTRICT WAS OUR MAIN FOCUS BUT THERE WAS ALSO CONSENSUS AT LEAST ON RESIDENTIAL AREAS THEY FELT THEY WEREN'T APPROPRIATE IN RESIDENTIAL AREAS BUT IT LEAD INTO A DISCUSSION, IF I COULD SEE A COMMERCIAL DISTRICT FROM MY RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY HOW DOES THAT COME INTO PLAY, SO YOU WILL SEE THAT FURTHER IN THE MEMO. THE MAIN FOCUS REALLY FOCUSED ON THE COMMERCIAL PROPERTIES THROUGHOUT THE CITY ZONED COMMERCIAL AND THEN WE LOOKED AT VISIBILITY FROM PUBLIC RIGHT OF WAYS. A LOT OF JURISDICTIONS WE LOOKED AT TIED MURALS TO COMMERCIAL PROPERTIES BUT IF YOU HAD A MAIN STREET OR A BROAD STREET, IN SOME SITUATIONS WHICH WOULD BE OUR HIGH STREET AND 161 A LOT OF JURISDICTION WE LOOKED AT, DIDN'T RECOMMEND HAVING MURALS VISIBLE FROM THAT AREA. SO THE GROUP HAD A LENGTHY DISCUSSION OF THE TWO THAT WERE PROPOSED, THE ONE ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF OLIVEIRA MONTE. -- MONTE.

BUT THEN THE ONE ON THE BACKSIDE OF HOUSE WINE WOULD MAYBE MEET SOME OTHER JURISDICTION'S CRITERIA WHERE IT WASN'T VISIBLE FROM THE MAIN STREET.

>> PRESIDENT B. MICHAEL: CHADELAINE?

I APOLOGIZE. >> PRESIDENT B. MICHAEL: JUST CHECKING. YOU ARE HITTING A LITTLE CLOSE

TO HOME. >> GLAD YOU CALLED THAT OUT, THANK YOU. MAYBE SOME WEREN'T APPROPRIATE FROM THE VILLAGE GREEN BUT WE FOCUSED ON THE BACKSIDE OF OLD WORTHINGTON HARDWARE. THE LITTLE ALLEYWAY BETWEEN OLD BAG OF NAILS AND SPECKLED HEN. THOSE DIFFERENT LOCATIONS THAT YOU KIND OF HAVE A BLANK WALL AND MAYBE THOSE TYPE OF MURALS WOULD BE APPROPRIATE IN THAT AREA.

LIKE I SAID, THE MAIN CONSENSUS WAS AT LEAST WITH THE RESIDENTIAL PART THAT THEY DIDN'T FEEL MAYBE MURALS WRE APPROPRIATE IN THE RESIDENTIAL AREAS BUT IT DID LEAD INTO THE QUESTION THOUGH IF WE WENT DOWN THE PATH OF MURALS BEING APPROPRIATE IN OUR COMMERCIAL DISTRICTS HOW ALMOST ALL COMMERCIAL DISTRICTS BACK TO OUR RESIDENTIAL DISTRICTS BUT THERE NEEDED TO BE SOME THOUGHT THAT MOVED FORWARD.

THE OTHER ITEMS THAT WE REALLY TALKED ON A LOT WAS THE SIZE OF MURALS BEING APPROPRIATE TO THE BUILDING, BUILDING SIZE AND SCALE. AND THE NUMBER OF MURALS THAT WOULD BE ON THE BUILDING IS ONE MURAL APPROPRIATE? IS TWO MURALS APPROPRIATE? I THINK THE GROUP HAD A CONSENSUS THEY DIDN'T WANT A PLETHORA OF MURALS DOMINATING WORTHINGTON OR AT LEAST IN THE HISTORIC DISTRICT BUT IF WE GO FORWARD WE WOULD NEED TO KEEP THAT IN THE BACK OF OUR MIND.

WITH THE NUMBER OF MURALS WE TIED IT T THAT PORTLAND EASEMENT PROGRAM. THEY HAD OTION OF ROTATING ART WORK. THAT'S ONE THING THE GROUP TALKED ABOUT AND DISCUSSED AT LENGTH.

STRUCTURES. WE FELT FROM THE CITY SIDE, AT LEAST, IF TH TH THERE IS A MURAL APPROVED WE COULD EITHER

[00:30:04]

DO A BOND FOR MAINTENANCE RELATE TODAY THE MORALE OR ENFORCE IT THROUGH OUR PROPERTY MAINTENANCE CODE.

WE HAD A LENGTH A DISY DISCUSSION.

IF THE MARRAL IS THERE FOR FIVE, 10, 20 YEARS, WHO IS MAINTAINING

THAT IN THE FUTURE? >> PRESIDENT B. MICHAEL: THE ARTIST VISUAL RIGHTS OR WHATEVER THAT WAS.

IF THEY OWN THE RTWORK, SOMEBODY ELSE WILL HAVE TO GO IN

>> WE HAD THAT DISCUSSION WITH.- MR. LINDSAY.

JURISDICTIONS HAVE THE ARTIST SIGN A WAIVER SO THE PROPERTY OWNER, CITY OR WHOEVER CAN GO IN IF IT NEEDED TO BE PAINTED, UPDATED OR REMOVED. SO BASICALLY IT WAS THE WAIVER FOR THEIR RIGHTS TO THAT. THE OTHER THING WE LOOKED T ESPECIALLY IN OUR HISTORIC DISTRICT AND EVEN IN THE REST OF OUR CORRIDOR, WITH NEW BUILDINGS, WE LOOKED AT THE TYPES OF BUILDINGS, WHETHER BRICK, STUCCO, WOOD, THE GROUP HAD A LENGTHY CONVERSATION ON THE TYPES OF BUILDINGS WHERE THEY FELT THAT MURALS WOULD BE APPROPRIATE OR NOT.

IT'S LIKE A SHRINK WRAP ON THE COHATCH SIGN ON THE KILBOURNE BUILDING. WE MADE SURE WHEN WE PUT THAT ON, THE BOARD DIDN'T WANT IT PAINTED.

THEY WANTED T WITH THE SHRINK WRAP SO IT COULD BE PEELED OFF.

THE ADHESIVE, BREWERY OFF OF HUNTLEY T THAT CAN BE PULLED OFF AND NOT DAMAGED. THAT IS ON THE BRICK STRUCTURE.

WOULD THAT BE APPROPRIATE ON STONE, WOOD.

BUT THEN MAYBE THE TYPE OF BANNERS ON THE MCCONNELL ART CENTER MAYBE MORE APPROPRIATE WHERE THEY CAN BE ATTACHED TO A WOOD STRUCTURE OR BRICK INSTEAD OF SOMETHING THAT IS PAINTED ON THE ACTUAL BUILDING. THE GROUP REALLY LOOKED AT THE TYPES OF BUILDINGS, MATERIALS, THE DIFFERENT BUILDINGS WE COULD DO SOMETHING ON WHERE IT WOULD NOT DAMAGE THE STRUCTURE.

THAT'S THE HEART OF OUR CITY IS OUR ARCHITECTURE.

THE GROUP THOUGHT THERE WAS IMPROVEMENT FOR MURALS BUT DIDN'T WANT TO DAMAGE BUILDINGS THAT ARE OUR HEART.

WE LOOKED INTO TIMEFRAME OF MURALS.

SOME PROGRAMS HAD IT PERMANENTLY, MONTHLY, YEARLY OR FIVE YEARS. DO YOU PLACE A TIMEFRAME.

IT WOULD DEPEND ON THE PROGRAM WE WENT WITH OR ACC DID NOT GO WITH. LOOKING AT IT SIZE OF ANYTHING WE GO WITH. WE LOOKED AT THE DIFFERENT ZONING DISTRICTS, THE INDUSTRIAL CORRIDOR DID NOT HAVE A LOT OF CONCERNS, THE MAIN CORRIDOR AND THE HEART OF OLD WORTHINGTON IS WHERE WE HAD THE MAIN DISCUSSION.

>> PRESIDENT B. MICHAEL: DOES THAT MEAN YOU ARE OKAY WITH HAVING MURALS AT THE INDUSTRIAL SECTION? OR YOU DIDN'T CARE FOR THEM? WHAT WAS THAT COMMENT?

>> M. GREESON: I THINK THERE WAS MORE CONCERN A DIRE CONCERN RELATED TO THE OFFICE AND COMMERCIAL AREAS, VERSUS THE INDUSTRIAL AREA ISN'T AS IMPORTANT TO REGULATE MURALS IN

THAT CORRIDOR. >> THEY WOULD POTENTIALLY BE ALLOWED AND WOULDN'T AVE AS TIGHT OF REGULATION.

IF MURALS WERE ALLOWED ANYWHERE?

>> M. GREESON: CORRECT. OUR FOCUS WAS THE RESIDENTIAL AREAS AND FOCUSED ON OLD WORTHINGTON AND OUR HIGH STREET AND 161. WE TOUCHED ON THE INDUSTRIAL AREAS BUT LESS ON A CONCERN IN THAT AREA.

ZAB IS A SIGN BECAUSE IT ADVERTISING THE BUSINESS BUT T DIDN'T SEEM OUT OF PLACE. THE FOCUS WAS REALLY MORE SO ON OLD WORTHINGTON. WE ALSO DISCUSSED DO YOU CREATE LITTLE POCKETS OF MURALS THROUGHOUT THE CITY.

THAT ONE LEADS YOU TO THE NEXT TO THE NEXT MO AND ON AND ON, BETWEEN SPECKLED HEN AND OLD BAG.

WAYS TO IMPROVE THE PEDESTRIAN EXPERIENCE.

>> ALONG THE OLENTANGY TRAIL. >> WE DID NOT GO INTO THE TRAILS AT ALL. WE FOCUSED MAINLY ON THE BUILDINGS AND THE RESIDENTIAL AND COMMERCIAL DISTRICTS.

[00:35:05]

EVENTUALLY, AGAIN, THE GROUP WAS NOT CHARGED WITH A YES OR NO RECOMMENDATION TO YOU. IT WAS CAN I TO COME UP WITH OPTIONS. ONE, THE ONE OPTION THAT WHERE WE ARE RIGHT NOW IS THE STATUS QUO, NO MURALS PERMITTED OR SOME ALLOWED ON PUBLIC PROPERTY. SINCE IT'S PUBLIC PROPERTY YOU HAVE MORE CONTROL OVER WHAT CAN GO ON THE PROPERTY.

IT TIED BACK TO LEGAL PART WE CANNOT REGULATE THE DESIGN ON THAT COMPONENT. WHEN WE BROKE IT DOWN TO THE RECOMMENDED OPTIONS TO COME BEFORE YOU, WHAT THE GROUP DID IS WE WENT INTO DETAILED LOOKING AT KIND OF THE STEPS BELOW EACH OPTION IF WE WENT FORWARD OR NOT, THOSE WERE THE FIVE RECOMMENDATIONS. EACH OF THEM LOOKS INTO IF YOU ARE PERMITTING THEM OR DOING THE EASEMENT PROGRAM OR PUBLIC PROPERTY INVOLVES CODE OR DESIGN GUIDELINE CHANGE AND MORE RESEARCH AND THOUGHT BEFORE IT WOULD BE RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL. AGAIN AS MR. GREESON MENTIONED ONE OF THE REASONS WE WANT THIS BEFORE YOU AS A ISCUSS ITEM TONIGHT RELATED TO THE MEMO. AT THE COUNCIL RETREAT IN FEBRUARY DELVE INTO IT ALSO. AND DISCUSSION TO INVITE THE PUBLIC, COMMENTS IN FAVOR OR AGAINST.

AND EVENTUALLY DIRECTED STAFF TO AND THE CODE COMMITMENT TO DRAFT REGULATIONS BY THE TASK FORCE AND WHAT YOU WISH TO DO TO MOVE THINGS FORWARD. THAT WOULD INVOLVE IF IT'S STATUS QUO WE DON'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING.

IF IT'S A NO OR POSSIBLY YES, IT WOULD INVOLVE A CHANGE TO THE PLANNING AND ZONING COA CODE, AND AMENDING THE GUIDELINES, TO WHAT WE HEARD FROM THE TASK FORCE AND CITIZENS. IF DESIRED BY CITY COUNCIL, MOVE

IT FORWARD. >> ANYTHING GOING UP ANYWHERE THAT HAS SEPARATE CONTROLS.

HOW HARD WOULD IT BE-- CAN YOU EXPLAIN THAT MORE?

IT SOUNDED KIND OF INTERESTING. >> WITH THE PORTLAND EASEMENT PROGRAM THEY HAD THEIR ARTS COMMITTEE AND THE CITY FUNDED THE ARTS COMMITTEE. I THINK 10 OR 12 PRE DETERMINED LOCATIONS THEY HAD THROUGHOUT THE CITY THEY FELT THE WORK WOULD BE APPROPRIATE. THE ARTS COMMITTEE AND CITY NEGOTI NEGOTIATION NEGOTIATED WITH THE PROPERTY OWNER. THEY WOULD WORK DIRECTLY WITH THE OWNER OF LA CHATELAINE AND ENTER INTO AN EASEMENT PROGRAM AND IT CAN ROTATE -- I THINK PORTLAND WENT FOR AT LEAST A YEAR. THAT WAS ONE OPTION WE DISCUSSED

AS A GROUP. >> I WAS WONDERING IF YOU DISCUSSED HOW THE CITY OF COLUMBUS HAS THEIR ART PROGRAM OR THE SHARP NORTH. I DON'T KNOW IF THOSE ARE SEPARATE OR TOGETHER. I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT

THAT. >> THAT WAS ONE OF THE THINGS WE DID A LOT WAS REACHING OUT TO OTHER JURISDICTIONS HAVING CONVERSATIONS. A LOT OF THEM HAVE GUIDELINES IN PLACE AND ART COMMITTEE SS AND MONEY FUNNELED FOR THE ARTS. LIKE I SAID, SOME JURISDICTIONS HAD AN ART COMMITTEE THAT APPROVED THE DESIGN AND WHERE IT WAS LOCATED. OTHERS HAD TO GO THROUGH DISTRICT AND PLANNING COMMISSION.

SOME OF THE INTERESTING ONES WE DISCUSSED AND HAD CONVERSATIONS WITH, THE MURALS PAINTED IN PORT SMITH, THEY ARE ABLE TO REGULATE HOW IT'S DESIGNED, IT'S STATE AND FEDERALLY OWNED PROPERTY WITH THAT WALL. SO THEY HAVE MORE CONTROL.

WHEN WE HAD CONVERSATIONS WITH CIRRUS, HOW IS THIS CONTROLLED? THROUGH THE PLANNING COMMISSION.

ARE YOU EVER WORRIED ABOUT WHAT MAY OR NOT BE PUT ON THE WALL? WE HAD A LOT CONVERSATIONS LIKE THAT I THINK THAT OUR PARANOIA AND YOU PLAN FOR THE WORST AND HOPE FOR THE BEST. A LOT OF THE JURISDICTIONS HAD A LOT OF COMMUNITY INPUT AND POSITIVIVITY AND NOT THAT NEGATIVE REACTION OR IMPACT. I THINK THAT WAS IN THE BACK OF OUR MIND. A LOT OF THE JURISDICTIONS WE SPOKE TO REALLY HAD A POSITIVE EXPERIENCE WITH IT.

[00:40:01]

I KNOW WITH UP TOWN WESTERVILLE WITH THE MURALS ON OLD BAG OF NAILS IN THE PARKING LOT, WENT THROUGH A TOWN REVIEW COMMITTEE

AND DID VARIANCES. >>

>> PRESIDENT B. MICHAEL: THE FIRST AMENDMENT BEING ABLE TO PUT ANYTHING? I'M TRYING TO SQUARE --

>> THEY CAN OOK HOW IT'S LOCATED, THE SIZE, HOW IT'S ATTACHED TO BUILDINGS. AT LEAST WITH THE CONTENT AND DESIGN EVERYONE IS PRETTY MUCH HAVING HANDS FF.

THE MAJORITY OF THE PEOPLE I SPOKE TO AND I THINK THE GROUP SPOKE WITH, HAD NOT AD THAT NEGATIVE INTERACTION BUT THE CONTENT DESIGN THEY CANNOT TOUCH.

THE EASEMENT PROGRAM, ON A PUBLIC BUILDING, WE HAVE MORE TEETH AND CONTROL. AND IT'S EASIER TO MONITOR AND

REGULATE. >> SO YOU MENTIONED THE VALUE, THE POSITIVE VALUE OF MURALS AND THE EXPERIENCE.

DID ANY OF THESE JURISDICTIONS TALK IN MORE DETAIL WHAT THEY VALUED ABOUT HAVING MURALS IN THEIR JURISDICTION?

>> I THINK A LOT OF THEM WE TALKED TO, IT TOLD A HISTORY OF THEIR COMMUNITY AND/OR DREW YOU INTO WANTING TO KNOW MORE ABOUT WHAT IS GOING ON AS A DESTINATION IN THAT COMMUNITY.

A LOT OF THE ONES WE ALKED TO ALSO HAD BUILDINGS THAT HAVE BEEN TORN DOWN. WE DON'T HAVE THAT SSUE IN WORTHINGTON OF BUILDINGS BEING TORN DOWN AND A PARKING LOT, AND A HUGE WALL. WE SEE THAT IN DOWNTOWN COLUMBUS AND THE SHORT NORTH, BUILDINGS ARE DEMOLISHED ND YOU HAVE LARGE WALLS. A LOT OF JURISDICTIONS HAVE HAD THAT BUT USED IT AS A WAY TO MASK JUST A BIG BLANK WALL.

>> ALSO, DID YOU TALK ABOUT SOUTH WORTHINGTON? BECAUSE I COULD SEE SOME POTENTIAL THERE WHERE IT'S LIKE THE GATEWAY INTO WORTHINGTON AND A WAY TO BEAUTIFY THAT AREA.

>> THE GROUP REALLY -- >> I CAN SAY THAT, I LIVE

THERE. >> THE MAIN FOCUS WAS THE HISTORIC DISTRICT. UP TO 270, ALL THE WORK AT 270 AND WILSON BRIDGE ROAD. TO SELLBY AND FURTHER, THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF BUILDINGS, NOT JUST MURALS BUT PUBLIC ART AND HOW THAT'S HANDLED. HOW OTHER JURISDICTIONS DO IT.

IT WAS A GOOD DISCUSSION WITH THE GROUP.

AND IT IS, I THINK, LINDA AND I PULLED A LOT OF INFORMATION TOGETHER BUT THE GROUP PULLED A LOT OF THE INFORMATION FOR US AND DID THE RESEARCH AND CALLED.

SO I THINK THAT HELPED. >> NEUTRAL ON THE TOPIC, TO BE HONEST, I LIKE ART BUT NOT SOME ART.

MY TEMPORAL REACTION TO THIS, IF WE KEEP HAVING BREATH TAKING ARCHITECTURAL BUILT BUILDINGS WE DON'T NEED MURALS.

BUT I SEE THE OTHER SIDE AS WELL.

YOU MENTIONED SOMETHING WHAT I WOULD CALL THE SUNSETTING CLAUSE WHERE YOU COULD HAVE SOMETHING FOR SIX MONTHS OR A YEAR PERIOD TURN IT INTO SOMETHING ELSE, WHITE WASH IT?

>> A ROTATING, SOME WAS PAINTED WHERE IT ROTATED TO A DIFFERENT ARTIST OR OTHERS, LIKE I MENTIONED THE MCCONNELL ARTS CENTER, IT IS ATTACHED AND BANNERS OME OFF.

THE DOWNTOWN COLUMBUS, SOME OF WERE LIKE THAT, ABLE TO ROTATE IN AND OUT. THEY STAYED AWAY FROM ANYTHING ADVERTISEMENT WISE BUT ROTATE THAT WAY.

USUALLY CONTROLLED THROUGH THE MUNICIPAL PLANNING COMMISSION OR

ARTS DISTRICT. >> CAN YOU TOUCH ON THAT MORE, THE SIGN AND SHRINK WRAP TYPE OF THING OR PAINTING.

I SEE THOSE AS TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MEDIUM.

>> MOST OF THE ONES I TALKED TO WAS THE ACTUAL PAINTINGS.

I THINK THE SHRINK WRAP WAS COHATCH AND WORRIES HOW THE ADHESIVE ON THE BACK WOULD ADHERE TO BRICK, WOOD OR STUCCO. THE GROUP HAD A CONCERN CERTAIN THINGS BEING MOUNTED TO WOOD OR DAMAGE THE I THE INTEGRITY OF THE BUILDING. IT WAS THE CONTENT AND DESIGN YOU CAN GET

[00:45:06]

YOUR HAND SLAPPED. >> COUPLE OF QUESTIONS.

I ASSUME WE'RE ABLE TO REGULATE THE CONTENT OF SIGNS.

IS THAT CORRECT? WE CANNOT?

>> REGULATE THE FONT SIZES, TYPES AND COLORSES.

WHETHER IT'S ILLUMINATED, THOSE THINGS, BUT CANNOT REGULATE THE CONTENT. ONE EXAMPLE WE HAVE IS LINWORTH CROSSING, THE PHARMACY IS LINWORTH PHARMACY, I THINK WHEN IT WENT BEFORE THE BOARD, WE THINK IT HOULD HAVE AN APOSTROPHE, BUT THE BOARD CAN'T LEGALLY LOOK AT THAT.

>> ABRUPTLY HALTS MY LINE OF QUESTIONING.

BUT I'LL BE THINKING ABOUT THIS.

THANK YOU. >> DIDN'T LIKE THE COLORS AND THE DESIGN.

AND THE ONE THAT THE PARTNERSHIP PROPOSED THEY REALLY LIKE THE COLORS AND DESIGN, BUT WEREN'T REAL CERTAIN ABOUT THE LOCATION. WHAT THE DISCUSSION CAME DOWN TO WAS, I LIKE THIS ONE, THIS ONE IS APPROPRIATE.

THIS ONE IS SUITABLE. THIS ONE IS ARTISTIC.

IT WAS ALL OF THE THINGS WE'RE NOT ALLOWED TO REGULATE.

THAT'S WHAT ARB WAS TALKING ABOUT.

AND AS THE WIRE SITTING ON THE EDGE, MY HAIR ON THE BACK OF MY NECK WAS GOING UP. AND I KEPT TRYING TO DIRECT THEM, YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TALK ABOUT THESE THINGS.

AS MUCH AS THE LIKE THE MURALS, THE WIRE IN ME SAYS THIS IS A SLIPPERY SLOPE. AS I TELL MY CLIENTS, YOU PAY ME TO BE PARANOID. AS MR. BROWN SAID, WE THINK OF THE WORST AND HOPE FOR THE BEST.

SO I OULD THINK OF WHATEVER THE ONE MURAL WE'RE LOOKING AT DID NOT SAY WORTHINGTON? BUT SAID, I DON'T KNOW, DOG DO DO OR SOMETHING, I CAN CERTAINLY MAKE IT MORE GRAPHIC BUT I

WON'T. >> MAYBE IT WAS JUST

MISSPELLED. >> WHATEVER, YOU KNOW.

AND BUT WE CAN'T ONTROL IT. THAT'S JUST REALLY -- AND THEN I GO TO THE PORTLAND OPTION. BECAUSE I THINK THE BACK OF THE BUILDINGS FACING THE PARKING LOTS MIGHT NOT BE A BAD PLACE PUT MURALS BUT NOW WE HAVE A WHOLE MYRIAD OF REGULATION, TO TRY AND PUT FORTH. IT'S GOING TO BE A BIG TASK.

I REAL APPRECIATE ALL F THE WORK THAT THE COMMISSION DID.

BUT I READ THE REPORT AND THEY KEEP COMING TO THE SAME QUESTIONS THAT I KEEP COMING TO.

THIS IS NOT AN EASY DECISION AT ALL.

AND THE EASY DECISION IS LET'S JUST NOT DO IT.

THAT WOULD BE THE EASIEST APPROACH.

THE OTHER IS GOING TO TAKE A LOT OF WORK.

>> PRESIDENT B. MICHAEL: PART OF IT WE NEED TO THINK ABOUT IS DO WE WANT TO AND I DON'T HAVE IF TODAY IS THE NIGHT, DO WE WANT TO CONTINUE MOVING FORWARD LOOKING AT SOME TYPE OF REGULATION. OR IS THE GENERAL CONSENSUS TO PROHIBIT ALL MURALS? I'M KIND OF, NOT THEY HAVE TO DO IT NOW BUT SOMEHOW WE HAVE TO MOVE FORWARD IN EITHER WE ECIDE WE WANT TO MOVE FORWARD AND LOOK AT SOME WAY TO GO WITH IT OR IF WE'RE A FLAT NO, WE DON'T WANT CHANGES THAT NEEDS TO COME OUT.

I'M CURIOUS AS TO WHAT ARE THE FEELINGS OF THE COUNCILMEMBERS ARE. WE HAVE THIS WONDERFUL CHART, I THANK THE MURAL TASK FORCE FOR PUTTING TOGETHER.

AND SORRY I DIDN'T RECOGNIZE YOU. I APOLOGIZE, I'M SORRY.

BUT GOING DOWN THE T CHART OF WHAT THINGS TO LOOK AT.

I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH STAFF AND OUR TIME WE WANT TO PUT INTO THIS OR NOT. AND IT'S IND OF OPEN-ENDED

QUESTION HERE. >> I HAVE HAD A COUPLE OF THOUGHTS COME TOGETHER. I'M CURIOUS WHETHER THE COMMISSION DISCUSSED THIS CONCEPT.

IT SEEMS TH TH THERE IS A DIRECT RESIDENTIAL BETWEEN THE DESIRABILITY OF A LOCATION OF A MURAL AND POTENTIAL FOR PUBLIC DISCONNECT OF THAT SAME APPLICATION.

[00:50:04]

TO WIT, IF YOU DO SOMETHING ON HUNTLEY ROAD IT'S NOT GOING TO HAVE THE SAME MAGNETISM AS SOMETHING ON THE SIDE OF LA CHATELAINE. IF WE WERE TO DO IT, I WOULD WANT TO TIP TOE IN WITH SOMETHING OTHER THAN THE HISTORIC DISTRICT AS A STARTER.

I SHARE MR. MEYERS' CONCERN, NOT BEING ABLE TO REGULATE CONTENT.

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT DURATION, ANOTHER FIVE YEARS, HAT SITS WRONG WITH ME. ULTIMATELY, LIKE SO MANY OTHER THINGS WE DISCUSS ON COUNCIL, I WISH WE KNEW WHAT THE PUBLIC WANTED AND I WONDER IF WE'RE GOING TO HAVE THIS OTHER CONVERSATION COMING UP ABOUT DEVELOPMENT.

COULD THIS BE A SMALL SUBSET OF THAT CONVERSATION?

>> PRESIDENT B. MICHAEL:

>> I WOULD -- I'M SORRY, I WOULD AGREE WITH THAT IDEA.

I WAS THINKING OF THE SAME THING, INCLUDING IT AS PART OF THE VISIONING PROCESS AND OPENING IT UP TO LOOKING AT THE BROADER ISSUE OF PUBLIC OR HAVING OR OUT IN THE OPEN AVAILABLE TO PEOPLE. WHETHER IT BE MURALS OR OTHER THINGS. I WOULD BE INTERESTED TO SEE WHETHER PEOPLE IN WORTHINGTON ARE INTERESTED IN US PURSUING IT. JUST BECAUSE IT'S DIFFICULT I DON'T WANT TO SHY WITH FROM IT. I WANT TO LOOK AND STUDY AND SEE IF THERE ARE CREATIVE WAYS TO DO IT EVEN IF IT MIGHT INCUR COST OR TIME. I THINK IT'S WORTH TALKING ABOUT

FURTHER. >> SUGGESTION BUT I'M VERY CONCERNED ABOUT MISSION CREEK.

THERE IS NO QUESTION. IF YOU PUT THE 7 OF US IN A GROUP FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS, WE COULD PROBABLY COME UP WITH ANOTHER 20 THING INTERESTS THE VISIONING PROCESS TO TAKE A LOOK AND IT'S GOING TO GO ON FOREVER. I THINK THIS IS AN ISSUE WE CAN DEAL WITH HERE. AND I CERTAINLY WOULD -- I ALSO DON'T WANT TO TAKE TOO MUCH TIME IN OUR RETREAT.

I HAVE A LOT OF THINGS TO DO ON THIS.

OF THE I THINK MOST OF WHAT WE NEED TO GET OUT WE HAVE PROBABLY GOTTEN OUT. IF WE COULD SET IT FOR A PUBLIC MEETING IN FEBRUARY, MAYBE A COUPLE.

MAYBE SEND IT BACK TO, COME ON, IF OU WANT TO GET A CROWD SEND IT TO ARB, THEY TEND TO HAVE THE BIGGEST CROWDS.

PUBLICIZE IT AND GET THE PUBLIC INPUT THAT WAY.

>> I LIKE MR. FOUST'S IDEAS ABOUT ACTUALLY THE LOCATION NOT BEING IN THE HISTORIC DISTRICT, AT LEAST TO BEGIN WITH.

I MEAN THAT WOULD GET EVERYTHING DONE IN ONE FELT SWOOP.

IF WE HAD THAT THROUGHOUT THE DISTRICT.

AS YOU WERE SAYING THE ARB, MPC BRINGS THE BIGGEST CROWDS.

I THINK THERE OBVIOUSLY IS SUPPORT IN THE PUBLIC FOR THIS.

WE HAD TWO PROPOSALS FROM THE PUBLIC, ALSO PUBLIC PEOPLE COME OUT AGAINST IT AT THE SAME TIME.

THERE IS CONTROVERSY I THINK WE KNOW AND THAT'S WHY IT'S HERE.

I AM IN FAVOR OF PUBLIC ART AND MORE PUBLIC ART IN WORTHINGTON.

AND EVERYTHING WE DO IN WORTHINGTON SHOULD BE A THOUGHTFUL PROCESS WHERE WE PREPARE FOR THE WORST BUT HOPE FOR THE BEST. I WOULD LIKE TO SPEND MORE TIME ON THIS. AND OPEN TO OTHER POSSIBILITIES. I DO THINK THIS IS SOMETHING WE SHOULD MOVE FORWARD AND LOOKING AT SEEING WHAT WE CAN DO FOR THE

WHOLE COMMUNITY. >> PRESIDENT B. MICHAEL: I'M KIND OF HEARING A CONCEPT OF HAVING A COUPLE OF PUBLIC MEETINGS. IT SHOULD DUCK TAIL WITH ABILITY FOR PEOPLE TO BE ABLE TO GO ONLINE AND BE ABLE TO SHARE THEIR THOUGHTS IF THEY CAN'T COME O A MEETING, TO SHARE THEIR THOUGHTS ONLINE AND HAVE THAT COMING IN AS A, YOU KNOW, GRANTED WE STREAMLINE OUR MEETINGS BUT NOT EVERYONE STAYS UP AND WATCHES IT.

IF WE WERE TO HAVE A MEETING AND OPPORTUNITY THROUGH THERE WEBSITE FOR PEOPLE TO BE ABLE TO BRING IN SOME OF THEIR THOUGHTS. I'M SURE WE'RE GOING TO END UP WITH PEOPLE THAT ARE GOING TO FEEL BOTH WAYS.

I MEAN, DO WE WANT TO SET UP A COUPLE MEETINGS AND TRY TO HAVE PEOPLE RING IN THEIR THOUGHTS AND IDEAS? WHAT DO YOU THINK, MR. ROBINSON.

[00:55:04]

>> MADAM PRESIDENT, I COUNT MYSELF IN THE SMITH URAL CAMP.

I LIKE ART AND HAVE SEEN MANY MURALS I LIKE.

I ALSO SEE MANY PRACTICAL PROBLEMS MR. MEYERS IDENTIFIED AND OTHERS. AS I TRY TO THINK WHAT WOULD BE POSSIBLE, WHEN I LOOK AT THE DECISION-MAKING GRID I CAN'T GET MY MIND EASILY WRAPPED AROUND WHAT AN ACTUAL PROGRAM WOULD LOOK LIKE. I WOULD SK IF ANYONE IN THE COUNCIL OR PUBLIC IS A REAL PROPONENT OF MURALS THEY PUT SOMETHING ON PAPER THAT WOULD SORT OF ARTICULATE WHAT THE PROGRAM WOULD LOOK LIKE AND HOW IT WOULD WORK TO IVE AN ACTUAL SORT OF I GUESS EXAMPLE THAT WE COULD LOOK AT AND ASSESS AND CRITIQUE. THAT WOULD HELP ME UNDERSTAND WHAT IS ACTUALLY BEING PROPOSED BY THE PROMURAL FOLK.

AS OF NOW I HAVE MANY UNANSWERED QUESTIONS.

>> ONLY ONE THAT ALLEVIATES MY BIGGEST FEAR.

IF WE'RE GOING TO GO THAT ROUTE, I CAN'T SEE ANY OTHER ROUTE TO GO. BECAUSE I HAVE TO BE ABLE TO CONTROL THE CONTENT AND LOCATION.

I LOOK AT THE TWO EXAMPLES WE HAVE HERE.

ONE, IS VERY MUCH A PIECE OF ART.

THE OTHER ONE IS A COMMERCIAL, TASTEFUL BUT A COMMERCIAL.

WHAT DO WE DO WITH THOSE? SO MAYBE IF MR. BROWN COULD CIRCULATE THE PORTLAND FRAMEWORK.

I THINK THAT WOULD ANSWER SOME OF YOUR QUESTIONS AND MIGHT BE A PLACE TO START. DOES THAT MAKE SENSE?

>> PRESIDENT B. MICHAEL: PRETTY MUCH.

OKAY. I THINK WE HAVE AN ASSIGNMENT

THERE, WHICH IS FINE. >> THEIR SYSTEM BECAUSE THEY HAVE AN ART COMMISSION IS NOT GOING TO WORK FOR US, BUT AT

LEAST SOMEPLACE TO START. >> PRESIDENT B. MICHAEL: OKAY.

ANY OTHER -- I KNOW WE HAVE A FEW PEOPLE IN THE AUDIENCE.

I DON'T KNOW IF ANYBODY HAS THOUGHTS THEY WANT TO SHARE.

IF THERE IS ANYTHING YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHARE, WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR IT. PLEASE COME ON UP.

SINCE WE DON'T HAVE THE YELLOW CARDS, GIVE YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS. OKAY? THANK YOU.

>> ELLEN SHEER, 112 EAST AVENUE.

I HAVE TO SAY, I'M VERY IMPRESSED, MR. BROWN, WITH THE TASK FORCE JOB. IT WAS VERY THOROUGH.

VERY HELPFUL, I THINK. SO THANK YOU.

AND THE DISCUSSION WAS GOOD TOO. >> AS WE GO THROUGH HE PROCESS AND MR. MEYERS' COMMENT THE ONE BEING A COMMERCIAL, THAT HAD NOT OCCURRED TO ME. ONE THING I'M UNEASY ABOUT, A PARTICULAR PIECE OF ART, DOES IT BECOME A PROMOTION FOR THAT ARTIST, IF IT'S SIGNED. IS THAT AN ISSUE? A RHETORICAL QUESTION TO THINK ABOUT.

I'M REMINDED OF AND THIS PREDATES EVERYONE IN THE ROOM BUT IF YOU CAN PICTURE THE INTERSECTION OF NEW ENGLAND, THE BUSINESS IS LONG GONE, THE HOUSE ON THE NORTHWEST CORNER IS BROWN STUCCO AFFAIR. AND THE OWNER OF THE HOUSE, 1962 WAS THE LOCAL FORD DEALER. THEY PUT UP A BEAUTIFUL MURAL THAT COVERED THE ENTIRE SIDE F THE GARAGE WITH A PINK ROOF.

15-FOOT TALL. SEASONS GREETINGS FROM, I DON'T SAY THEIR NAME, BETTY AND JIM, WHOEVER, BELOW THAT, YOUR FORD DEALER. SO KIND OF ADVERTISING AT ITS WORST ON THE SIDE OF A BUILDING.

THE CITY PRETTY PROMPTLY BLACKED IT OUT, LITERALLY BLACK PAINT, I WISH THERE WAS A PHOTOGRAPH, TO THE POINT OF ADVERTISING, I THINK IT'S A SENSITIVE ISSUE. WE NEED TO BE THOUGHTFUL ABOUT ANY POSSIBILITY IT BECOMES AN ADVERTISEMENT FOR ANYONE OR ANYTHING. BACK TO YOUR CONTENT.

>>

[01:00:15]

MIND. TASTEFUL, WELL DONE, APPROPRIATE

MAYBE. >> WHAT YOU ARE SAYING WITH THE EASEMENT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE. POSSIBLY WE MIGHT.

AND THEN IT BECOMES WHETHER WE WANT THEM AT ALL.

>> PRESIDENT B. MICHAEL: I HAVEN'T BEEN SAYING MUCH BUT I JOIN IN WITH THE CONCERN ABOUT HAVING THIS IS GO CRAZY WITHOUT HAVING CONTROL. LIKE EVERYONE SAID, THERE IS CERTAIN ART YOU LIKE AND CERTAIN ART YOU DON'T. HOW TO CONTROL IT. WHERE IS THE APPROPRIATE LOCATIONS? THAT BECOMES A PART TOO, WHERE THE BACK OF THE BUILDING OF LA CHATELAINE IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THAN THE SIDE WALLS ON AN ALLEY WAY, ALMOST NO ONE WILL SEE UNLESS YOU ARE WALKING THE ALLEYWAYS.

YOU COULD REGULATE THE LOCATION WHERE SOMETHING IS PERMITTED.

THAT'S ONE THING WE CAN. I LIKE TO SEE THE PORT SMITH -- THE PORTLAND AND I GUESS AT THIS POINT WE'RE GOING TO GET ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND HAVE THIS BECOME A FUTURE AGENDA ITEM. A LITTLE MORE BROADLY OPEN TO INCUR MORE RESIDENTS TO COME FORWARD.

IS THAT THE GENERAL CONSENSUS I'M GETTING HERE?

>> FASSESTENING. ON THE SIDE OF THE FASTEN ALL BUILDING, STORY AND A HALF, 50 FEET LONG, A SCREW.

THINK ABOUT IT. JUST A THOUGHT.

>> THEY ARE CURRENTLY CLOSED BUT THERE IS A FASTEN ALL, FASTER SUPPLY IN WORTHINGTON. AND THEY HAVE FIVE STARS.

>> IT'S A GREAT -- OH, YEAH, IF YOU NEED FASTNERS, IT'S A GREAT PLACE TO GO. SO IS GRANGER, YOU COULD HAVE A PLUG. ANYTHING REGARDING MURALS BEFORE WE MOVE ON? YES.

>> PRESIDENT MICHAEL, NOT TO BELABOR BUT ADD TO THE DISCUSSION. ONE, I THINK LEE AND LINDA DID A VERY GOOD JOB OF TRYING TO PROVIDE A FRAMEWORK FOR THE TASK FORCE TO DISCUSS. AND I THINK BETH AND OTHER MEMBERS OF THE TASK FORCE CAME IN, THEY HAD DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES. SOME MAYBE HAD A VIEW OF MURALS. A FEW WERE SORT OF NEUTRAL AND OPEN TO DISCUSSION. IT WAS MY EXPERIENCE WATCHING THEM DISCUSS, TAKE IN INFORMATION, GO OUT AND FIND INFORMATION, DIGEST THAT, IT WAS A HEALTHY DISCUSSION.

I O THINK MUCH LIKE YOUR DISCUSSION TONIGHT, IT'S A CHALLENGING TOPIC TO KIND OF COME TO A FINAL POINT ON.

AND SO I THINK THAT WAS MY SENSE OF THE TASK FORCE, MAYBE IN SOME WAYS FRUSTRATING. BUT UNDER THE TASK THEY WERE GIVEN OF PROVIDING SORT OF OPTIONS, I DO THINK THE MATRIX PROVIDES AT LEAST A FRAMEWORK. BUT I THINK UNTIL YOU DO HAVE A SPECIFIC AND MAYBE THE PORTLAND BECOMES THAT FIRST THING TO LOOK AT. OR IF YOU FIND A PROPONENT OF MURALS WHO WANTS TO PUT FORTH A PROPOSED ORDINANCE OR STRUCTURE OF A PROGRAM, IT ALLOWS YOU THEN TO MAYBE OCUS YOUR ATTENTION.

A COUPLE PECIFICS, THE PORTLAND SITUATION CAME OUT OF THE FACT THAT THEY WERE A CITY THAT HAD A LOT OF MURALS.

THEY FAVORED MURALS. THEY THEN RAN INTO A PROBLEM RELATED TO THE COMMERCIAL ASPECTS OF A -- IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, A MURAL THAT UNDER THEIR PROVISIONS THEY THEN BANNED THAT AS THEY BANNED CONTENT BASIS.

THEY THEN DISCOVERED THE FIRST AMENDMENT PROHIBITED THEM FROM DOING THAT. SO THEN THEY HAVE A SITUATION, I THINK, FOR A PERIOD OF TIME WHERE THEY HAD NO, YOU KNOW, THEY WERE NOT GOING TO PERMIT FURTHER MURALS.

AND THEY CAME UP WITH THIS PROGRAM OF AN EASEMENT APPROACH WHERE THE CITY COULD THEN CONTROL THE CONTENT.

AND THE CITY CONTROLS THE CONTENT BECAUSE IT'S THE CITY'S

[01:05:06]

SPEECH THAT IS BEING PERMITTED, BECAUSE IT IS THE CITY SPEAKING ON THE SIDES OF BUILDINGS AND IT'S THE CITY'S BUILDING IN THE SENSE THEY OWN THE EASEMENT RIGHT TO UT A MURAL ON THAT BUILDING. THAT IS THE FRAMEWORK IN WHICH THAT CAME ABOUT OR OR THE ESSENCE OF IT.

IT'S A PROGRAM THAT PORTLAND WENT FORWARD IT.

I THINK IT SERVED THEIR PURPOSE.

WHEN I FOLLOWED UP IN THAT DISCUSSION THEY EVENTUALLY WENT BACK TO WHAT I WOULD CALL AN OPEN-ENDED PROGRAM.

THEY SORT OF HAVE TWO PROGRAMS. MAYBE OF THE CITIES AS LEE INDICATED SEEMED TO BE WILLING TO TAKE THE RISK OR OBLIVIOUS TO IT RISK OF HAVING A MURAL THEY MIGHT NOT LIKE.

IF YOU TAKE THE WORST-CASE EXAMPLES OF THINGS THAT EVERYBODY BUT THE PERSON PUTTING IT UP WOULD BE OPPOSED TO, UNDER FIRST AMENDMENT LAW, THE ABILITY TO PROHIBIT THAT SHORT OF ACTUAL PORNOGRAPHY AS THE COURTS HAVE DEFINED, WHICH IS FAR WORST THAN WHAT MOST OF YOU WOULD THINK. THOSE ARE SOME OF THE CHALLENGES WE FACE AS WE MOVE FORWARD. I THINK THIS IS STARTING POINT, A GOOD DISCUSSION OF INTEREST.

FINDING A SENSE OF WHAT THE COMMUNITY WANTS AND TRYING TO FIND A SOMETHING TO ALLOW YOU TO START TO STRUCTURE WHAT IT IS.

I THINK STAFF'S POSITION I THINK WHY WE WERE TASKED THE WAY WE WERE WAS TO ALLOW THAT DISCUSSION TO HAPPEN AS OPPOSED TO NARROWING IT DOWN TOO QUICKLY WITH THE TASK FORCE COMING UP WITH A SPECIFIC RECOMMENDATION. I WANT TO APPLAUD LEE AND LINDA ON THE TASK FORCE FOR IT. MY ROLE WAS UNFORTUNATELY BEING THE PERSON WHO HAD TO SAY NO ABOUT WHAT WE COULD AND COULD DO FROM A CONTENT LAW STANDPOINT. HOPEFULLY HAT HELPS AS YOU MOVE FORWARD. COMMERCIAL SPEECH IS STILL AVAILABLE TO HAVE LIMITATIONS THAT OTHERWISE MIGHT NOT APPLY TO NONCOMMERCIAL SPEECH. AT LEAST FROM THE READ DECISION FROM THE U.S. SUPREME COURT A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO.

THEY DID NOT TAKE THEIR DRASTIC SHIFT IN TERMS OF NE DETERMINES CONTENT BASICALLY. I THINK I MAY HAVE SHARED THIS PREVIOUSLY WITH COUNCIL. IF YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT THE SIGN TO DETERMINE WHETHER THE REGULATION APPLIES OR DOESN'T APPLY, THEN YOU ARE INTO THE REALM OF A CONTENT REGULATION BECAUSE -- AND THAT'S THE OLD SITUATION OF WE'RE GOING TO ALLOW ONE POLITICAL ADDS , FOR INSTANCE, BUT WE'RE NOT GOING TO ALLOW EVENT ADDS OR SOMETHING. SO YOU START TO, IF Y YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE SIGN, THE SUPREME COURT HAS SAID IN THE NONCOMMERCIAL CONTENT THAT WOULD BE CONTENT REGULATION.

ANYTHING FORWARD WILL BE GUIDED BY THESE PRINCIPLES.

HAPPY TO PROVIDE ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THIS TOPIC.

WE TRIED NOT TO OVERWHELM YOU WITH TOO MUCH DETAIL AS TO THE LAW BUT WE CAN DO THAT AS WE GO FORWARD.

>> PRESIDENT B. MICHAEL: WE'RE MOVING OFF THE MURALS TOPIC.

[7. Reports of Council Members]

MR. GREESON, DO YOU HAVE ANY ANNOUNCEMENTS?

>> M. GREESON: JUST A QUICK REPORT.

JUST ANOTHER REMINDER THE COMMUNITY RELATIONS COMMISSION IS HOSTING A MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY CELEBRATION AT THE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH. AND ANYBODY CAN ATTEND.

WE'RE EXCITED TO DO THAT ON SUCH AN IMPORTANT DAY.

HOPEFULLY, I'M NOT STEALING YOUR THUNDER MADAM PRESIDENT, WANTED TO REPORT ON THE CBB. OUR DIRECTOR LEFT.

>> PRESIDENT B. MICHAEL: ONE NOTE.

AND THAT IS THAT HE COUNCIL MEETING WILL BE ON TUESDAY BECAUSE OF MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY.

I WANT TO REAFFIRM THAT. NOW WE CAN MOVE OFF OF MARTIN

MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY. >> M. GREESON: THANK YOU FOR REMINDING ALL OF US OF THAT. SO DURING THE BUDGET PROCESS WE

[01:10:01]

HAD A PRETTY GOOD CONVERSATION ABOUT THE FUTURE OF THE CONVENTION AND VISITORS BUREAU.

THEY MADE A RECOMMENDATION THEY WOULD EVENTUALLY DISSOLVE AND RECOMMENDED THEIR FUNCTIONS BE MERGED WITH OLD WORTHINGTON PARTNERSHIP. AND PURSUANT TO THE CONVERSATION YOU HAD HERE, MR. LINDSAY AND I HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH THEM TO EFFECT THAT TRANSITION, MR. CLEVENJURE WORKING WITH THE STATE AUDITOR, PREPARING CORPORATE DISSOLUTION RESOLUTIONS FOR THE CBB BOARD, AND DISCUSSING HOW TO BEST SEQUENCE THE ACTIVITY SO WHEN IT COMES BACK TO COUNCIL, THERE IS A PROPOSAL FROM THE PARTNERSHIP THAT YOU CAN ACT ON.

LAST FRIDAY A COUPLE OF THINGS HAPPENED.

THE FIRST THING THAT HAPPENED WAS THAT THE CONVENTION OF VISITOR'S BUREAU BOARD ENTERED INTO A CONTRACT WITH THE PARTNERSHIP TO CONTINUE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR SERVICES.

AS YOU RECALL FOR SIX MONTHS OR MORE, MS. DECKER WHO WAS HERE HAS BEEN THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF THE CBB AS AN EMPLOYEE OF THE PARTNERSHIP AND THE PARTNERSHIP IS BASICALLY PROVIDED CBB SERVICES TO THAT BOARD.

THEY HAVE CONTINUED THROUGH THROUGH THE FIRST QUARTER, THAT'S GOING TO AFFORD A LITTLE BIT OF TIME TO DOT THE I'S AND CROSS THE T'S AS THE TRANSITION OCCURS.

SHE'S AGREED TO CONTINUE EMPLOYMENT WITH THE PARTNERSHIP. AND THE SECOND ACT IS THAT THE CBB BOARD UNANIMOUSLY APPROVED ON FRIDAY, A CORPORATE RESOLUTION IN WHICH THEY WILL DISSOLVE NO LATER THAN MARCH 31T , I BELIEVE IS THE DATE. AT THAT TIME, THE FULL TRANSITION WILL OCCUR. THE NEXT STEPS IN THAT PROCESS ARE WE WILL INTRODUCE AN ORDINANCE AT THE NEXT MEETING.

THAT ORDIN ORDINANCE WOULD ALLOW US TO ACCEPT THE FUNDS TTHAT WILL BE DISPERSED FROM THE CBB, ESSENTIALLY THEIR FUND BALANCE. AND IT WILL APPROPRIATE A PORTION OF THOSE FUNDS, CERTAINLY NOT ALL OF THEM, BUT APPROXIMATELY $45,000, TO THE PARTNERSHIP WHICH IS WHAT THEY ARE REQUESTING TO PERFORM CBB SERVICES FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE YEAR FOR 2019. THEY WILL THEN COME, THE PARTNERSHIP WILL THEN COME AT THE PUBLIC HEARING FOR THAT ORDINANCE ON FEBRUARY 4, AND PRESENT ALL OF THAT TO YOU, INCLUDING THEIR PLAN FOR OW THOSE FUNDS WOULD BE USED.

CORRECT, THEY HAVE WORKED ON UPDATED BYLAWS AND RECRUITING ADDITIONAL BOARD MEMBERS THAT HAVE TOURISM BACKGROUND AS WELL AS, THERE ARE THREE STEPS, AND MS. KOWALCZYK CAN REPORT ON T.

BYLAWS CHANGE. AND CREATING A UBCOMMITTEE THAT WOULD FOCUS ON CBB ISSUES. ALL OF THAT WILL GET REPORTED TO YOU IN A PUBLIC HEARING AT A PUBLIC HEARING ON FEBRUARY 4.

MR. ROB INSON HAS ASKED FOR EXECUTIVE SESSION ON ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AND PERSONNEL. IS THERE ANY OTHER IF WE'RE GOING TO BE IN EXECUTIVE SESSION, ANY OTHER TOPICS ANYBODY WANTED TO BRING UP? MS. THRESS, ANYTHING TO REPORT.

ANYTHING ELSE MR. LINDSAY, MR. ROBINSON? MR. FOUST? MR. SMITH.

>> I THINK MR. ROBINSON MADE AN ACCIDENT BY MENTIONING THE VISIONING PROCESS, AND ACCIDENTLY SPARKED SOME CONVERSATION. I'M GOING TO ATTEMPT TO AVOID THE ACCIDENT PART BUT I FEEL LIKE I NEED TO SHARE A PORTION OF MY CONVERSATION WITH HERB MARLO THIS PAST WEEK.

I DID RECOGNIZE HE WAS ACTING MORE OF A THERAPIST BECAUSE I KEPT SHARING MORE AND MORE WITH HIM ABOUT MY IDEAS AND FEELINGS. BLAH.

BUT I DID WANT TO REMIND YOU ABOUT THE PROPOSAL WASN'T EVEN A PROPOSAL, AN OUTLINE I SENT ABOUT A YEAR AGO AFTER THIS POINT AFTER WE STARTED TALKING ABOUT THE VISIONING PROCESS.

IF WE DON'T REACH 80% OF WORTHINGTON RESIDENTS IN ONE

[01:15:01]

FORM OF EITHER, WHETHER IT BE DOOR TO DOOR, KNOCKING ON DOORS AND SITTING IN THEIR LIVING ROOMS OR INVITING THEM TO FORUMS OR ONLINE CONVE CONVERSATIONS AS WELL IF WE DON'T HIT 80% I THINK WE WILL HAVE FAILED.

I WANT TO INSTILL THAT NUMBER, AND I SHARED THAT WITH M MR. MARLO. SO HOPEFULLY HE HAS THOUGHTS HOW

TO COMPILE THAT WITH YOU GUYS. >> I WANTED TO MENTION, MR. MARLO, JUST I APPRECIATED THE TIME THAT HE TOOK TO SPEAK WITH ALL OF US TO TEE UP OUR RETREAT COMING UP.

I WANTED TO THANK ALL OUR SERVICE DEPARTMENT FOR KEEPING THE SNOW AND STREETS CLEAN AND POLICE AND FIRE, I KNOW THERE ARE ACCIDENTS I HEARD THEM RESPOND.

HAVING THE COMMUNITY CENTER OPEN, THERE IS TONS OF PEOPLE IN THE POOL. I WANT TO THANK EVERYONE ON CITY

STAFF OR DOING A GREAT JOB. >> B. KOWALCZYK: I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO GO TO ONE OF THE PUBLIC HEARINGS TODAY ON ATL ELECTRIC AGGREGATION, THERE WERE FOUR MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC, AND MYSELF AND MR. LINDSAY.

IT WAS A VERY GOOD MEETING. I LEARNED A LOT.

THE FOLKS FROM THE PUBLIC HAD GREAT QUESTIONS AND PERSPECTIVES THAT I THOUGHT WERE HELPFUL. AND THEN I ALSO WANTED TO LET MR. SMITH KNOW I TOO BROUGHT UP THE ISSUE OF POTENTIALLY UNDERREPRESENTED INDIVIDUALS TO MAKE SURE WE REACH OUT TO PEOPLE WHO AREN'T OFTEN CONSIDERED. I PRETTY MUCH SECONDED YOUR CONCERNS. HE'S HEARD IT.

BRIEFLY , MCDONALD'S HAD THEIR GRAND REOPENING TODAY.

IT WAS VERY, VERY NICE. GOT A CHANCE TO HAVE A BEHIND-THE-SCENES TOUR OF THE NEW TECHNOLOGY AND FAST FOOD SERVICE. ONE OF THE THINGS THAT WAS INTERESTING, WITH ALL THIS INCREASE AUTOMATION, ARE WE GOING TO LOSE EMPLOYEES? IN FACT THEY HAVE HAD TO INCREASE THE EMPLOYMENT BY FIVE. EVEN THOUGH THE RESTAURANT IS SMALLER, THE INSIDE SPACE TO SIT IS SMALLER THE VOLUME IS UP THERE AND IT WAS VERY, VERY INTERESTING TO SEE THE WAY THE TECHNOLOGY AND WHAT THEY HAVE DONE, BUT ALSO KEEPING PEOPLE EMPLOYED WHICH I THOUGHT WAS A NICE THING TO LEARN.

THE MAYOR ASSOCIATION MEETING LAST WEEK, AND IN THE FUTURE A LEGISLATIVE GENDA COMING PRIORITIES.YOU CAN HEAR THE- THEY TALKED A LOT OF ABOUT WHAT-- WE HAD A SENATOR THERE, TALKING ABOUT WHAT'S HAPPENING WITH THE TRANSITION WITH THE NEW LITERATURE, THE NEW GOVERNOR, LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR.

SO THERE WAS A HOPEFUL NOT THAT BECAUSE THE LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR, THERE MIGHT BE THE CITY ISSUES MIGHT BE FALLING ON EARS THAT LISTEN A LITTLE DEEPER. SO WE'RE HOPING THERE IS LESS PREEMPTION OF HOME-RULE RIGHTS. I'LL KEEP MOVING FORWARD AND KEEP YOU POSTED. THE CBB MEETING HAS BEEN COVERED. ANYTHING ELSE BEFORE WE GO TO EXECUTIVE SESSION? THE CIC MEETING AND I'M GOING TO

[9. Executive Session]

ADD REAL ESTATE TO THE THIRD REASON FOR HAVING THE MEETING, EXECUTIVE SESSION, ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT, PERSONNEL AND REAL ESTATE. OKAY.

ANYTHING ELSE? IF NOT, MS. KOWALCZYK MOVES WE GO INTO EXECUTIVE SESSION, SECONDED BY MS. DOROTHY.

MS. THRESS, PLEASE CALL THE ROLL FOR EXECUTIVE SESSION.

>> D. KAY THRESS:

>> PRESIDENT B. MICHAEL: YES. WE'RE NOT ADJOURNED TO

>> PRESIDENT B. MICHAEL: OKAY. MOVES WE COME OUT OF EXECUTIVE SESSION, SECONDED BY MS. DOROTHY, ROLL CALL, MR. ROBINSON. MR. FOUST, MR. SMITH.

MS. KOWALCZYK, MS. DOROTHY, MR. MEYERS, MS. MICHAEL, YES, WE'RE OUT OF EXECUTIVE SESSION, MR. FOUST MOVES WE ADJOURNED

* This transcript was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.